Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Old Mission Church
Tulbagh, Western Cape

Date:1846
Type:Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Church
Status:Extant

 


Click to view large map

Coordinates:
33°17'07.30" S 19°08'22.21" E Alt: 160m

See more photographs

Transcription of information board:

No 54
VAN DER STEL STREET
Old Mission Church
TULBAGH HISTORIC CULTURAL LANDSCAPE & CONSERVATION AREA

This mission church, completed in 1846, is built on land donated to the mission society by WH Vos, son of first Tulbagh missionary, Arie Vos. It was mainly constructed by the congregation, most of whom were former slaves. The building serves as a reminder of the inspiring work of the Rev GA Zahn of the Rhenish Mission Society and his parishioners, who built this church for a mere 300 pounds. An elegant neo-Gothic belfry once stood to the left of the church, but was demolished after the 1969 earthquake when the congregation vacated the building.

Hierdie sendingkerk is in 1846 voltooi en is gebou op grond wat deur WH Vos, seun van die eerste sendeling van Tulbagh, Arie Vos, geskenk is. Die bouwerk is meestal gedoen deur die gemeente, meeste van hulle was voormalige slawe. Die gebou dien as herinnering aan die inspirerende werk van eerw GA Zahn van die Rynse sendinggenootskap en sy gemeente wat die kerk gebou het vir slegs 300 pond, 'n elegante neo-Gotiese kloktoring wat vroeere aan die linkerkant van die gebou gestaan het, is na die 1969 aardbewing gesloop, toe die gemeente die gebou ontruim het.

Development of the Cape Vernacular - Religion

In preserving our heritage, we preserve the story of many people, most importantly the untold story of the disenfranchised workers and slaves whose hands built the colony and the South Africa that we know today. There is a clear link between religion, social status and education in Tulbagh. It is through religion that social conditions of the slaves improved - education of slaves was encouraged, and slaves freed.

Building was declared a National Monument 28/09/1973 and is now a Provincial Heritage Site.