Click to view large map
Also known as the Old Swing Pump and Prince Street Pump.
Was pump erected for the owner of the farm Zorgvliet, JF Hurling, in the 1790s. This structure was erected in 1812 as part of the improvement to Cape Town's water supply. It was fed by water from the Platteklip Stream. The masked gargoyle is attributed to Anton ANREITH. Judging by the ears that show behind the steel mask of the gargoyle, it is possibly a Water Sprite. The pump was known as a "swinging pump" which slaves worked by swinging the long wooden handle, weighted to one side, to and fro. Above the gargoyle was a slate on which the details of the amount of water consumed were probably recorded.
It was proclaimed a Historical Monument in 1937 and is now a Provincial Heritage Site.
See SAHRIS entry.
Writings about this entry