de Wicht Zaal - Wicht Hall
People:George Murray ALEXANDER: Architect
33°55'27.72" S 18°24'56.41" E Alt: 32m
de Wicht Zaal (The Wicht Hall) of the Nieuwe Kerk (NG community Tamboerskloof) was in later years the Alabama Cinema, but was demolished in 1985 because the funds necessary for renovations could not be found. The community sold it in 1946 for £13 300 to the Nationale Pers who used it as a store. According to the cornerstone it was built in 1889/1890. In earlier years it was used as a Sunday school church and cultural gatherings. A member of the Nieuwe Kerk community, Mrs. Elizabeth Johanna Wicht, made the funds available for the building.
Single storey, Victorian with parapet, cornice and entrance pediment (extensively modified during a replastering). Granite steps, encaustic tiled threshold, hipped bituminous felt covered roof. (Possibly the work of architect G. M. Alexander)
(The Argus 16 Jun 1984:8)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.