Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Railway Station
Lüderitz, Namibia

? LOHSE: Architect

Date:1912
Type:Railway Station
Status:Extant
Street:Cnr. Bismarck and Bahnhof Streets

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
26°38'50.77" S 15°09'13.68" E Alt: 13m

Terminal of the railway leading to Keetmanshoop. This new railway station building, built in 1913-1914, in German colonial style, was commissioned by the German S.W.A. government to accommodate the increased volume of cargo and passengers resulting from the discovery of diamonds in 1908 and subsequent extension of the Luderitz-Aus railway line to Keetmanshoop.

*Proclaimed a National Monument on 13 Dec. 1976 by the National Monuments Council of South Africa.

Transcription of the Monuments Commission plaque:

STATION BUILDING

THIS GERMAN COLONIAL BUILDING WAS DESIGNED IN 1913 BY THE GOVERNMENT
ARCHITECT, LOHSE, OF THE "HAFENBAUBURO" ON THE SITE SELECTED IN 1912
BY MR FROESE, DIRECTOR OF THE "BETRIEBSLEITUNG DER LUDERITZBUCHT EISENBAHN
VERWALTUNG". CONSTRUCTION WAS UNDERTAKEN AND COMPLETED BY THE FIRM
METJE & ZIEGLER IN 1914.
National Monuments Council
1976

Submitted by Dorothy Adendorff - October 2014

See also National Heritage Council of Namibia

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

Vogt, Andreas. 2004. National Monuments in Namibia : An inventory of proclaimed national monuments in the Republic of Namibia. Windhoek: Macmillan Education Namibia Publishers. pg 166-167