Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk
Click to view large map
A site, belonging to the DRC, on the corner of Grobler- and Biccard Streets, was earmarked for the building of the new and larger church, started during April 1914 under the leadership of Reverend BH Swart. Wynand H LOUW was appointed as the architect. The Building Commission was made up of prominent members of the church one of which was LLH Mentz (later Colonel and Member of Parliament for Pietersburg). The Great War (1914-1918) started in Europe as well as the South African Rebellion of 1914-1915 but this did not deter the congregation from moving forward with the building programme. A contractor Adams and Mason was appointed in 1916 and in 1917 the cornerstone was laid on 1917 03 31. The inauguration of the church building took place on 1918 04 05. In 1920 the name of the Congregation changed from Zoutpansberg to Pietersburg.
(Extracted from a document by H Potgieter 2013 on the SAHRIS website, accessed 2015 10 01)
Writings about this entry