Tana Baru Cemetery
Click to view large map
|See more photographs|
The Tana Baru
The Tana Baru is the name of the disused Muslim cemetery at the top of Longmarket Street, Cape Town. It is in reality composed of three independent burial grounds, lying adjacent to each other and forming a continuous land mass. Two of these burial grounds are on land granted to the Muslims in 1805 and 1842 as public burial grounds. It is certain that the Muslims buried their dead here long before 1805 when the first piece of land was officially granted to Imaum Frans of Bengal as a Javaansche begraafplaats. The third burial ground consists of private plots purchased by prominent Cape Imams, as burial grounds for their respective congregations.
The Tana Baru was the main cemetery of the Muslim community of Cape Town until 15 January, 1886 when it was closed by Government decree. The closure, in terms of Sections 63 to 65 of the Public Health Act of 1883, was against the wishes of the people...
Despite its closure, the Tana Baru has always been regarded as the most sacred of the Muslim cemeteries of Cape Town. Within its confines are buried some of the most respected founders of this community; men and women, who to this day are honoured for the roles they played in the establishment, spread and consolidation of Islam in the Western Cape.
Tana Baru derived from Malayu: Tana is ground; Baru is new.
Submitted by Schalk LE ROUX 2014.
Please Contact Artefacts if you come across any broken links on this page.
Writings about this entry