ZAR Road Bridge over the Olifants River, 'du Toit Bridge' / 'Du Toitbrug'
Originally designed to span 21m, the design was later increased to 30m, probably causing delays in the delivery since the steel super-structure needed to be imported. The sub-structure, as with all of this period, was of coursed, rough-hewn ashlar. It is the opinion of the authors (cited below) that this bridge was demolished in 1939, and components re-erected as the Bridge over the Wilge River, 'Bronhorstspruit Bridge'. It is thus the only recycled ZAR bridge structure extant.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry