ZAR Road Bridge over the Wilge River, 'Eloffs Bridge' / 'Eloffsbrug'
Construction started in June of 1891 so was in progress at the height of the summer rains, resulting in the sub-structure being almost completely inundated from time to time, hence slowing completion. Since the flood-waters remained within 150 mm of the heads of the sub-structure Wierda deemed this adequate and allowed the completion to the original design. The bridge, with all others of the same time, constructed of coursed, rough-hewn ashlar buttresses and steel super-structure spanning 18m. Only the stonework remains.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry