Click to view large map
|See more photographs|
The original farm that today is Welmoed was granted to a German speaking Swiss mercenary, Henning Hussing, by the VOC (Dutch East India Company) upon completion of his contractual tour of duty in the Cape. He named it Meer Lusthof (German for "idyllic farm by the sea", today Meerlust) describing the sense of pleasure he experienced when sea breezes blew inland from False Bay. Hussing took a portion of his enormous property and either gave or sold it to Jacobus van der Heyden, also a mercenary and to whom he was related. This portion later became known as Welmoed.
In 1797 the farm was acquired by Pieter Gerhard van der Byl and after his death in 1831 was divided between his sons Philippus Johannes van der Byl who received the present Klein Welmoed, and Pieter Voltelen van der Byl who received the present Welmoed which is currently (2014) the Welmoed wine estate.
(Fransen 2004:223-224; Welmoed Wines - History)
See also Stellenbosch Wine Routes
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry