Petersen Bridge - Kwelera River
Joseph NEWEY: Engineer
Click to view map
The Kwelera (Petersen) Bridge was started in July 1897, and handed over on 28 March 1899. On the west abutment below the deck is an inscribed stone : "Erected by PWD 1897-98"
On the east and west sides of the northern end of the bridge, a narrow cast iron plate is visible (between the top face of the stone abutment and underside of the girder). Each plate has the following wording:
(William MARTINSON April 2014)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry