Kowie River Bridge - Henry Putt Bridge
33°35'28.39" S 26°53'13.95" E
This bridge replaced the single carriageway bridge opened in 1908 and a dual carriageway bridge opened in 1928. There is a memorial alongside "... dedicated to the Civil Engineers of South Africa and their teams who opened up the country and continue to improve the quality of life of all its people". The memorial incorporates the foundation and unveiling stones of the original bridge and was unveiled in 2001.
A transcription of both stones reads as follows:
HENRY PUTT BRIDGE
Transcription provided by
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.