Share this record

Netherlands Bank - Second
Central, Pretoria, Gauteng

People:

Wilhelm Johannes DE ZWAAN: Architect

Next

Date:1896
Type:Bank
Status:Extant


Click for larger map

25°44'49.39" S 28°11'13.70" E Alt: 1323m
Click on map for Google Maps

Also Nederlandsche Bank en Crediet Vereniging

This was the second Netherlands Bank building it replaced the first one built in 1888 in Church Street. In 1953 the bank moved to the existing building.

2013 - The building is currently the Tshwane Tourism Information Offices.


Writings about this entry

Allen, Vivien. 1971. Kruger's Pretoria: buildings and personalities of the city in the nineteenth century. Cape Town: Balkema. pg 55-57, 74
Dunston, Lola & Dunston, Tom. 1975. Young Pretoria 1889-1913. Pretoria: Dunston. pg 26, 27 ill, 28 ill, 48
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1977. Victorian Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 292-293
Fisher, Roger C. The Third Vernacular: Pretoria Regionalism — Aspects of an Emergence: in Fisher, RC, Le Roux, SW and Maré, E (Eds). 1998. Architecture of the Transvaal: pp 129

Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.