please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
VredenhofLouis Michel THIBAULT: Architect Attributed
Paarl district, Western Cape
The land was occupied in 1792 and the farm granted in 1795. Previously a single storey H-Plan building (still discernible) enlarged to double storey. Masterfully crafted front door symmetrically flanked by traditional fenestration, being one half-width and two full-width each cottage-pane windows over both storeys with traditional external louvre shutters at ground floor. Internally the 'muurkaste' are from the residence 'Paarl Diamant' (demolished) which predates this building by fifteen years.
For further information on the measured drawings see Pearse Collection.
Writings about this entry
|Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pg 292 & 294|
|Fransen, Hans & Cook, Mary Alexander. 1965. The old houses of the Cape : a survey of the existing buildings in the traditional style of architecture of the Dutch-settled regions of the Cape of Good Hope. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 113|
|Elliot, Arthur (Photographer) Plate 102. [a] Vredenhof, Paarl. The Entrance Door [Photo]: in Pearse, Geoffrey Eastcott. 1957. Eighteenth century architecture in South Africa: pp 152|
|Hanson, N (Photographer) Plate 102. [b] Vredenhof, Paarl. The Front [Photo]: in Pearse, Geoffrey Eastcott. 1957. Eighteenth century architecture in South Africa: pp 152|
|McIntosh, W Gordon Plate 103. Vredenhof, Paarl. Measured Details (Measured at Paarl C.P. January 1928. Drawn by W. Gordon McIntosh July 1928): in Pearse, Geoffrey Eastcott. 1957. Eighteenth century architecture in South Africa: pp 153|