Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Main Offices - New Kleinfontein
Benoni, Gauteng

Date:n.d.
Client:New Kleinfontein Gold Mining Company
Type:Offices
Status:Demolished

New Kleinfontein Mine was founded as Kleinfontein Mine in 1888, just north of Benoni Gold Mines, where gold was discovered in 1887, and south of the Chimes Mine (founded in May 1888). One of the early managers of Kleinfontein mine was the later Sir Charles Crewe, a later owner of the East London "Daily Despatch".

Crushing at Kleinfontein Mine began in 1889 with a 25-stamp mill. The Chimes, Benoni, Kleinfontein and Van Ryn Mines all ran into difficulties in 1890. Kleinfontein Mine closed down that year. In 1893, the company was re-formed as New Kleinfontein Gold Mining Company, with capital raised by George Farrar and the Anglo-French Exploration Company. In 1895 the G. F. Syndicate bought the farm Kleinfontein (on which the town Benoni was later developed) and built the Homestead and Kleinfontein dams.

The first manager of the re-constituted New Kleinfontein mine was a Cornishman, Pengelly. In 1898, Pengelly was succeeded by E. J. Way.

After the Anglo-Boer war the mine expanded by buying neighbouring mines Apex and Benoni Consolidated (which incorporated Chimes and Chimes West). As with the case of E.R.P.M. in Boksburg, New Kleinfontein was the longest lasting mine in Benoni.

In 1906, New Kleinfontein hospital was opened as the first hospital in Benoni.

During 1909—1910, the company built their own power station on the banks of Kleinfontein dam. At the time, the chairman of New Kleinfontein was William Dalrymple, who founded the Transvaal Scottish Volunteer Regiment in 1902. Dalrymple is remembered for later forming the South African Scottish contingent who fought at Delville Wood in World War I.

The brick headquarters of New Kleinfontein were for many years a feature of Benoni, standing just south of Main Reef road, where McKenzie Park is today.

New Kleinfontein Gold Mining closed in 1929. With shares worth only pennies, the company was taken over by George McKenzie in 1931. By 1963, ore reserves were mined out, and the mine gave notice of closure. In 1964, Brakpan Mine was acquired and staff were moved to Brakpan. The Headquarters building and workshops were demolished and McKenzie Park township was developed where the mine had been.

Mining ceased at Benoni in 1964 and at Brakpan in 1967.

New Kleinfontein Mine, Newsletter of the Boksburg Historical Association, May 2009.

Information provided by Glynis Cox Millett-Clay

Submitted by William MARTINSON

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.