Drostdy - Museum
33°46'09.92" S 25°24'15.96" E Alt: 71m
|See more photographs|
Owing to the great difficulty in availability of skilled craftsman and labour the building was slow, and in execution much altered, hence difficult to establish the original design intention. Part of it was originally flat-roofed, but by 1821 it is depicted as thatched. In 1829 it was re-roofed in pan-tiles manufactured in Port Elizabeth. The gable is probably of a later period. It is speculated that Thibault provided the design at the same time that he did those for Graaff-Reinet and Tulbagh.
Writings about this entry