Bailie's Grave Post - Fort Stokes
Click to view map
Named after Lieutenant CT Bailie who, together with his party of thirty men, were massacred by the Xhosas in the Ntaba ka Ndoda bush in June 1835. According to Colonel Bolton's report the wattle and daub officers' quarters, soldiers' barracks, guardhouse and stables were all in a state of complete decay at the beginning of 1856 and some were in danger of falling down at any moment. The wattle and daub Commissariat store and stone powder magazine were in good order.(Coetzee 1995) All that is left is the earth embankments around the perimeter of the fort. (William MARTINSON 2012)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry