Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Fort Jackson
East London district, Eastern Cape

ROYAL ENGINEERS: Architect

Date:pre 1859
Type:Fort
Status:Ruin


Click for larger map

32°55'02.88" S 27°42'19.01" E Alt: 335m
Click on map for Google Maps

A square redoubt with a south-western and a north-eastern bastion. It was a small temporary post erected to watch over a new wagon route on the left bank of the Buffalo River. It never saw military action. (Coetzee 1995) All that is left is the earth embankments around the perimeter of the fort, now partly obliterated by the N2. As can be seen from the photographs not much to be seen of the Fort. (William MARTINSON 2012)

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

Coetzee, Colin. 1995. Forts of the Eastern Cape : Securing a frontier 1799 - 1878. Grahamstown: Colin G Coetzee. pg 551-553