Share this record
Bishopscourt, originally Boscheuvel, later Protea
Bishopscourt, Cape Town, Western Cape
People:Sir Herbert BAKER: Architect
Originally the intended home of van Riebeeck but burnt down before he could occupy it.
Finally transferred to the Trustees of the Colonial Bishop's Fund in 1851. Altered beyond recognition by Baker at the turn of the C19, the Monuments Commission in 1959 pronouncing it 'too much changed to be proclaimed'..
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
|Fairbridge, Dorothea. 1934. Gardens of South Africa : with some chapters on practical gardening under South African conditions and some notes on the cultivation of South African wild flowers. Cape Town: Maskew Millar . pg opp. 10, 60 + 97|
|Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pg 114-115|
|Gutsche, Thelma. 1970. The Bishop's Lady. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 137-141, 143, 152, 154, 162-165, 168-170, 172-179, 181-183, 185, 186, 188, 189, 192, 194-198, 203, 208-211, 213, 214|
|Warner, Brian. 2006. Cape landscapes : Sir John Herschel's sketches 1834-1838. Cape Town: University of Cape Town Press. pg 29, 37|
Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.