Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Parsonage House Museum
Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape

Date:c1830
Type:Museum
Status:Extant
Street:7 Castle Hill

 


Click to view large map

Coordinates:
33°57'48.50" S 25°37'17.91" E

See more photographs

Also Called Seven [or 7] Castle Hill or No 7 Castle Hill

No.7 Castle Hill. C 1830 The Georgian house, now a museum is one of the oldest houses in the city and is a fine example of how the English style was interpreted into provincial outposts in the early 19th century. The two storey house was originally built as the home for Rev. Francis McCleland. Two similar Georgian period houses, known as the "Sterley cottages", are located at no.10 and no.12 Castle Hill, across the road. These are single storey houses and remain private residences. These were restored with some alterations in 1974 by the architect Hurbert TANTON. All three of the houses were declared National Monuments now provincial Heritage Sites.
(Gerald Humphrey)

Wording on notice board

_____________________

NO 7 CASTLE HILL MUSEUM
PARSONAGE HOUSE


Reverend Francis McCleland, an 1820 Settler,
bought this land in 1827. He built the house in
the Georgian style of that time, using indigenous
yellowwood, sandstone and locally made bricks
and tiles.

This colonial home strives to present a picture of
domestic life with an emphasis on the period
1840-1870

A well in the courtyard, the remains of the
stables and the original basement kitchen are
of interest.

Saved from destruction by H.B. SMITH and
restored by the Historical Society of Port
Elizabeth, the house is a satelite of the Port
Elizabeth Museum at Bayworld

_____________________

Wording on Historical Monuments plaque

_____________________

PARSONAGE HOUSE

PARSONAGE HOUSE, BUILT ABOUT 1830, WAS
THE HOUSE OF THE REVEREND FRANCIS
McCLELAND, 1820 SETTLER, COLONIAL CHAPLAIN
AND FIRST RECTOR OF ST. MARY'S CHURCH,
PORT ELIZABETH. IT WAS OWNED AND OCCUPIED
BY HIM FROM THE TIME IT WAS BUILT UNTIL
HIS DEATH IN 1853 AND IS ONE OF THE OLDEST
HOUSES KNOWN TO SURVIVE IN THE CITY.

Historical Monuments Commission

PASTORIE

DIE PASTORIE, OMSTREEKS 1830 GEBOU,
WAS DIE HUIS VAN DIE BEWAARDE FRANCIS
McCLELAND, 1820 SETLAAR, KOLONIALE
KAPELAAN EN EERSTE PREDIKANT VAN DIE
ST. MARY - KERK. PORT ELIZABETH. HY HET
DIT BESIT EN BEWOON VANAF DIE TYD DAT
DIT GEBOU IS TOT SY DOOD IN 1853 EN SOVER
BEKEND IS DIT EEN VAN DIE OUDSTE HUISE
IN DIE STAD.

Historiese Monumentekommissie
1964

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

Hartdegen, Paddy. 1988. Our building heritage : an illustrated history. South Africa: Ryll's Pub. Co. on behalf of the National Development Fund for the Building Industry. pg 55
Hatfield, Denis. 1967. Some South African monuments. Cape Town: Purnell. pg 61-63