Prince Alfred's Guard Drill Hall
? WILSON: Architect
George Dix PEEK: Architect
33°57'48.37" S 25°37'15.05" E
Designed by Storey and Wilson "of the Railway Dept." who "gave their services free of charge". The later additions were made by George Dix Peek. Picton-Seymour 1977:185, incorrectly ascribes the building to SMITH & DEWER.
Opened in 1882 (1881 on gable, Richardson has opening date as 1880), this historic building has been the headquarters of the Prince Alfred's Guard ever since, and is now also a museum. Unlike other South African units which, until the proclamation of the Republic, may have had bestowed upon them titles linked with royalty, the designation 'Prince Alfred's Guard' sprang from a duty performed by the unit when it provided a special escort for Prince Alfred during his visit to Port Elizabeth in 1860. (Richardson 2001)
Wording on notice board
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry