Share this record
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
Fort Murray - SecondROYAL ENGINEERS: Architect
King William's Town district, Eastern Cape
Click to view large map
32°56'32.43" S 27°28'17.45" E Alt: 342m
Fort Murray was a permanent fortification of stone buildings with thatched roofs.
NCOs and Privates||40
Cape Mounted Rifles ||10
Restoration of the fort started in 1976 being completed in May 1977. By August 1995 the fort was vandalised and totally destroyed. (Coetzee 1995)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
|Coetzee, Colin. 1995. Forts of the Eastern Cape : Securing a frontier 1799 - 1878. Grahamstown: Colin G Coetzee. pg 442, 446-447 ill, 532|
|Potgieter, DJ (Editor-in-chief). 1971. Standard Encyclopaedia of South Africa [SESA] Volume 4 Dev-For. Cape Town: Nasou. pg 652|
|Webb, DA. 1985. Fortifications in the Province of Queen Adelaide and British Kaffraria 1835-1866. : Unpublished Thesis - University of South Africa. pg 33|