King George VI Art Gallery - Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Gallery
Click to view large map
|See more photographs|
The gallery consists of two separate buildings, which are positioned like gate house either side of the gates to St George's park. Despite this strong concept the buildings were built nearly 30 years apart. The first which was known as the Arts Hall was built in 1927, while the second was intended to be completed in 1947 to commemorate the royal visit. Hence the name King George VI Gallery. The building and the new entrance to the park were however only opened in June 1956.
In 2002 the gallery was renamed Nelson Mandela Municipal Gallery.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.