People:FARROW and STOCKS: Architect
33°18'47.88" S 26°31'19.53" E Alt: 556m
The building is now called 'The Albany Museum Natural Sciences Building'. At the time of construction (after the destruction by fire of the original building) it was known as the 'Albany Museum'. The Architects were Farrow and Stocks of East London and it was designed in the Cape Dutch revival style. It was opened by the Mayor of Grahamstown in 1945.
The iron gates and railings on the street boundary remain from the original building and on inspection much of the original structure and features to the design of VIXSEBOXSE are incorporated in the rebuild. The rear wing has an original display, an interesting museum piece in itself.
Entry created and expanded from information provided by Fleur Way-Jones, Curator Emeritus: History Museum at the Albany Museum Complex, Grahamstown. Submitted by William MARTINSON.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.