NZASM South-Eastern Line Railway Station
People:NZASM: Nederlandsche Zuid-Afrikaansche Spoorweg-Maatschappij: Architect
NATAL GOVERNMENT RAILWAYS: Design Architect
LINDSAY and PERIE: Contractor
According to the original plans, the Standerton station building was designed by the NGR. Although the internal layout basically followed the NZASM type, the rest of the design (especially the exterior) differed markedly from the other large NZASM station buildings. Special features, not devoid of some 'English' flavour, were the ornate pointed gables of the raised centre section of the roof which faced the platform and the street respectively. Another unusual feature was the station-master's house which was not fully incorporated into the main building, but instead was treated as an attached but separate unit with its own gables.
The Standerton station site ran parallel to the streets, in line with the market square, and located on higher ground to the west which overlooked the town. From a distance the group of buildings in the station yard appeared as a separate village.
The station building, of roughly dressed natural stone in an irregular pattern, was constructed by the firm of LINDSAY & PERIE. It contained toilets, waiting-rooms, an en¬trance hall with an office, a luggage-room, offices for the assistant station-master and train conductors, and a three-bedroomed station-master's house with living-room, kitchen and pantry.
During 1956-1958 the Railways extensively improved the Transvaal portion of the Johannesburg-Durban main line, which inter alia entailed the remodelling of the goods yard and station at Standerton. This included the erection of a new station building which unfortunately spelled the end of the old NZASM building.
(De Jong et al, 1988)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.