St George's Club
In 1886, the conception of a "junior" Club was formed. Many of the younger generation felt the need for a social club more suited to their years and where they could meet and relax without being conscious of the critical eyes of their more staid elders. In 1892 several influential citizens rallied to the cause and in January of that year the St George's Club was founded. In 1997 it was evident that the city was not large enough to support two Clubs and a merger took place between the Port Elizabeth Club and the St George's Club. The latter property was sold and Members moved into the Bird Street building.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.