OWEN EATON and MERRIFIELD: Architect 1936
Click to view large map
|See more photographs|
The foundation stone was apparently laid in 1897 and finally opened in 1900. Originally constructed as the Seaman's Institute, it later became known as the Seafarers' Club. It was later badly damaged by fire and lost much of its decorative detail as a result, including the balcony balustrades, the gable in the roof over the entrance and the decorative gable end to the North Elevation.
In 1936 the building was extended to the south in the International style the work is believed to have been by OWEN EATON and MERRIFIELD (although it has also been attributed to JONES and McWILLIAMS) The extension provided a new stair case and and the "Annie Sandford" concert hall.
The building is now The South End Museum, which, in 1999, was set up in recognition of the tragic loss of South End, as a result of the Group Areas Act and the devastating effect the forced removals had on the lives of its residence. The museum was officially launched on Human Rights Day, 11 March 2001.
(Gerald Humphrey, 2016)