Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Customs House
Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape

Adolph Gislingham HOWARD: Design Architect
PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT of the CAPE COLONY: Architect

Date:1891
Type:Customs House
Status:Demolished 1982

Caption of photograph: top, second from left
CUSTOMS HOUSE, PORT ELIZABETH. – This is an imposing pile of buildings, erected under the supervision of the Public Works Department, containing various offices for the examination of luggage and goods, &c. It is situated on ground reclaimed from the sea at the foot of the North Jetty.

Caption with sketch: right bottom
CUSTOMS HOUSE – The Customs House is situated at the main entrance to the Port Elizabeth harbour. It is built on the site of the "Captains Rest Rooms" which was patronised by the seafaring folk. The sea used to wash almost to its walls but now, due to reclamation, the sea has been pushed back about a hundred and fifty yards (137.16 metres).

The building was badly damaged by fire in 1978. Attempts to save the building failed and it was demolished in 1982.

For a full history see Lost Artefacts of Port Elizabeth: Customs House.