The Town Hall shortly after completion with the front porch extending over the drive. Photograph from pg 13 of 'Denfield, Joseph; Pioneer Port - The illustrated History of East London, Howard & Timmins, Cape Town, 1965'

Submitted by William MARTINSON
Photographer: Unknown




The laying of the foundation stone of the Town Hall on February 20, 1897, by the Mayor, David Rees. Meyer's Railway Hotel in the background was completed in May 1875. Photograph from pg 13 of 'Denfield, Joseph; Pioneer Port - The illustrated History of East London, Howard & Timmins, Cape Town, 1965'

Submitted by William MARTINSON
Photographer: Unknown




The Town Hall 1920. The front porch has been removed to allow for the erection of the Colonial Division Memorial. Photograph from pg 13 of 'Denfield, Joseph; Pioneer Port - The illustrated History of East London, Howard & Timmins, Cape Town, 1965'

Submitted by William MARTINSON
Photographer: Unknown




Cast iron brackets supporting gallery in City Hall
Photographer: William Martinson - 2012 09 21




Cast iron decorative frieze to edge of flat roof
Photographer: William Martinson - 2012 09 21




Detail of clock-tower from northeast
Photographer: William Martinson




Detail of copper clad finial to clock tower
Photographer: William Martinson




Municipal Crest on Central gable facing Oxford Street

ARMORIAL BEARINGS OF THE CITY OF EAST LONDON

The Armorial Bearings of the City of East London were adopted by the Town Council in 1892, during the Mayoralty of Mr. David Rees, who during a visit to England had consulted competent authorities on the subject. The blazon is as follows:

Argent a cross gules; 1st and 4th a garb or, 2nd and 3rd a sheep trussed or; the chief azure; thereon a rising sun; the whole surmounting an anchor.

Translated from the heraldic language, this means: A red cross on a white ground, a golden sheaf in the 1st and 4th quarters and a trussed sheep (also golden) in the 2nd and 3rd quarters; the upper part of the shield blue, with a rising sun depicted upon it; the whole surmounting a golden anchor.

The red cross was chosen because it forms part of the Armorial Bearings of the City of London; the rising sun signifies the East; the sheaves and the sheep are symbolic of agriculture and commerce; and the anchor is the emblem of the Cape of Good Hope.

The motto on the Armorial Bearings is "Animo et Fide", which translated into English means "By Courage and Faith".

Ref: The City of East London Official Guide (2nd edition). Authorized by the Council of the City of East London, 1953.

Information provided by Liz de Wet of the Cory Library, Rhodes University. Submitted by William MARTINSON.

Photographer: William Martinson




Detail of north-east corner of clock tower
Photographer: William Martinson - 2013 04 13




Gable on north elevation
Photographer: William Martinson - 2013 04 13




Decorative plaster detail on North elevation
Photographer: William Martinson - 2013 04 13




Sheet metal roof ventilator
Photographer: William Martinson - 2013 04 13




2c Coil Stamp - 1982 07 15 from Fourth Definitive Series First Day Cover

Caption with stamp:
2c City Hall, East London This Victorian building was designed by Edwin Page and was inaugurated on 5 October 1899. Drawing by AH Barrett

Click for full cover







Postcard from 1908

Submitted by William MARTINSON






Scanned Postcard: Town Hall, East London. Postmarked Jan-07-1924

Submitted by William MARTINSON

Photographer: Unknown




Scanned Postcard: East London City Hall (Card No 935). Postmarked 15-07-1982

Submitted by William MARTINSON

Photographer: Unknown