Known also as Hans Victor Lindhorst, Lindhorst was born in Berlin and educated at the Technische Hochschule of Berlin and Stuttgart. He was apprenticed to Oberbaurath Von Egle among others not mentioned by name. He arrived in the Cape in 1883, practising first in King William's Town before leaving for the Transvaal on 1 January 1887. He set up practice as an architect in the newly established mining camp of Johannesburg, the South African Who's Who (1909) states that he was the first trained architect on the Rand. Almost immediately (15 January 1887) Lindhorst's tender for the new Government Building (1887-1888) next to Market Square (38, 40 Rissik St) was accepted and he was appointed the architect by the Landdrost of the Witwatersrand, Colonel Von Brandis. Lindhorst worked in some as yet un-established capacity in Pretoria, and acted as advisory architect to the Kenilworth Estate and Finance Corporation in Johannesburg and was co-supervising architect with JS DONALDSON of Palace Buildings, subsequently one of the most famous landmarks in Johannesburg; the architect of the building was one RICHTER, it seems, who designed Palace Buildings from Holland. He was elected a member of the Transvaal Institute of Architects in January 1912, and died some eight months later of enteric fever at his own home, 37 Gus Street, Jeppestown in Johannesburg. The second prison building in Plein and Twist Streets (1887), the Commissioner Building in Bok and Wanderers Street (1888), Kommandant Schutte's House at 131 Smit Street (1888), the Pioneer Hotel at nos 8-10 Loveday and Plein Streets (1896) demolished in the 1970s, and House J Eloff in Keizer Street (now Wanderers Street) and Bok Street (1888) have all been attributed to him.
TIA. (Afr Archt Jan 1912:156; Afr Archt Oct 1912:68 obit; Smith 1971; Longland's Tvl & Rhod dir 1903; SAWW 1908, 1909,1910; Witwatersrand brief v 15 Jan 1887, R4601/87, R6393; TAD SS/r7270/87)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.