TIA. (Afr Archt Jan 1912:156; Afr Archt Oct 1912:68 obit; Smith 1971; Longland's Tvl & Rhod dir 1903; SAWW 1908, 1909,1910; Witwatersrand brief v 15 Jan 1887, R4601/87, R6393; TAD SS/r7270/87)
Known also as Hans Victor Lindhorst, Lindhorst was born in Berlin and educated at the Technische Hochschule of Berlin and Stuttgart. He was apprenticed to Oberbaurath Von Egle among others not mentioned by name. He arrived in the Cape in 1883, practising first in King William's Town before leaving for the Transvaal on 1 January 1887. He set up practice as an architect in the newly established mining camp of Johannesburg, the South African Who's Who (1909) states that he was the first trained architect on the Rand. Almost immediately (15 January 1887) Lindhorst's tender for the new Government Building (1887-1888) next to Market Square (38, 40 Rissik St) was accepted and he was appointed the architect by the Landdrost of the Witwatersrand, Colonel Von Brandis. Lindhorst worked in some as yet un-established capacity in Pretoria, and acted as advisory architect to the Kenilworth Estate and Finance Corporation in Johannesburg and was co-supervising architect with JS DONALDSON of Palace Buildings, subsequently one of the most famous landmarks in Johannesburg; the architect of the building was one RICHTER, it seems, who designed Palace Buildings from Holland. He was elected a member of the Transvaal Institute of Architects in January 1912, and died some eight months later of enteric fever at his own home, 37 Gus Street, Jeppestown in Johannesburg. The second prison building in Plein and Twist Streets (1887), the Commissioner Building in Bok and Wanderers Street (1888), Kommandant Schutte's House at 131 Smit Street (1888), the Pioneer Hotel at nos 8-10 Loveday and Plein Streets (1896) demolished in the 1970s, and House J Eloff in Keizer Street (now Wanderers Street) and Bok Street (1888) have all been attributed to him.
Obit for Lindhorst in the The African Architect Vol. II, No. 5, October 1912, p. 68
THE LATE MR. H. LINDHORST
We have with deep sorrow to record the death of another of the pioneer architects of South Africa - the late Mr. H. Lindhorst, who passed away on September 11th at his residence in Jeppestown. The deceased died, after a brief illness, from enteric fever, and was buried with Masonic honours, having been a prominent member of the Germania Lodge. At the graveside were, also, brother architects showing the deepest respect for the memory of one of the oldest members of the profession in the Transvaal. The late Mr. Lindhorst was the architect for the Palace Buildings and the first Grand National Hotel, besides many other of the earliest buildings in Johannesburg. He was a much-respected member of the architectural profession, and his loss is greatly mourned by many personal friends.
(Submitted by Nicholas Clarke)
These notes were last edited on 2020 05 18
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
List of projects With photographs
|Eloff House Bldg: 1895. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
|Government Building: 1887. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
|House JL van Eyssen: 1897. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
|House Max Rosettenstein: 1895. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
|Palace Building: 1889. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
|Post Office - First: 1887. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
|Villa FEA Beck: 1902. Berea, Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
|Villa P Krause: 1902. Berea, Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
Books citing LINDHORST
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1977. Victorian Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pp 318|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 149|
|van der Waal, Gerhard-Mark. 1987. From Mining Camp to Metropolis - The buildings of Johannesburg 1886-1940. Pretoria: Human Sciences Research Council. pp 12 port, 14, 26, 34|
|Walker, Michael. 2013. The pioneer architects of Johannesburg and their buildings (1886 - 1899) with postcard illustrations. St James: The Kalk Bay Historical Assosiation. pp 17, 23|