BEARDWOOD and IBLEREstablished: 1896
The partnership between JF BEARDWOOD and J IBLER in Johannesburg and in Pretoria from 1896-9. Beardwood's son recalled his father saying that he met Ibler on Park St Station, Johannesburg (n.d.). The partners' best-known building is the synagogue (1903) in Paul Kruger St (then Market St), Pretoria. During the building of which they had an office on Church Square, Pretoria and were listed in the Pretoria directory of 1899 as Ibler & Beardwood. A striking feature of the building was its polychrome brickwork, now unfortunately hidden by cream-coloured paint. The Pro-cathedral in Kerk St, Johannesburg, a year earlier, is similar in style to the synagogue particularly in its use of polychrome and of the Romanesque style. The partnership ended with the outbreak of the Anglo Boer War, Ibler left for Pietermaritzburg and Beardwood for Durban.
(Allen 1971; Building Jun 1923:44 obit (Beardwood); NAD MSCE cf Ibler; Greig 1971; Norwich 1985; Picton-Seymour 1977; Pretoria Jewish Chronicle Jan 1950; UP documentation centre)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
List of projects With photographs
|Pro-cathedral: 1896. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
|Synagogue: 1897. Central, Pretoria, Gauteng - Architect |