ING and JACKSONEstablished: 1920
The partnership in Durban between FJ ING and RN JACKSON from about 1920. Ing and Jackson complemented each other well, according to information supplied by Jackson (1985), Ing the businessman and Jackson the artist. They were the architects for the Natal Technical College on the original Smith Street site and for the 1925-1927 extensions. They designed the Lion Match Factory in the same years in the restrained classical style characteristic of the 1920s. Although based in Natal, the firm was commissioned to design works outside the Province, such as the Standard Bank in Lourenco Marques in Mocambique (1929), a porticoed, colonial-style building. They won the competition for the War Memorial in East London (1921) which preceded their design for the War Memorial in Memorial Gardens, Pietermaritzburg (1922). Many of their designs were in the Spanish Colonial or Spanish Mission style, particularly popular on the Berea, Durban.
(Building Mar 1922:31; Cumming-George 1933; Hillebrand 1975; Jackson 1985; Rees 1957; UNSAL)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing ING and JACKSON
|Cumming-George, L. 1933. Architecture in South Africa - Volume One. Cape Town: The Speciality Press of S.A. Ltd.. pp 155, 156, 157|
Chapters in books citing ING and JACKSON
|Joubert, 'Ora. Barrows: in 2009. 10 years + 100 buildings: pp 408|