HOGG, JamesBorn: fl. 1860
According to Radford (1979:119), Hogg arrived in Cape Town about 1860; he had worked on the railways in England, Ireland, Portugal and Brazil until about this date. He was active in Cape Town between 1861 and 1863, possibly acting as supervising architect for W WHITE since he adapted White's designs for 'the second stage of building at the Diocesan College, Rondebosch in 1862' (Radford 1979:119). He also designed the first synagogue in Cape Town which is in the Government Gardens 'a very novel building, to say the least' comments Radford, it being part classical, part Egyptian and decorated with the Star of David. Hogg was also supervising architect of St James Church, Sea Point in 1863 although not completed to his design.
(Radford 1979; Restorica 8 (n.d.)
Cape Town: Synagogue, St John's St, Gardens, now Jewish Museum (Restorica 8:43, 44) 1863; Market Bldg, proposed (Radford 1979:119) 1863
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing HOGG