HENDERSON, George GowBorn: fl. 1906
Currently nothing is known of Henderson's origins nor of his training. He won second premium in partnership with DM GORDON (cf GORDON & HENDERSON) in the competition for the Law Courts in Bloemfontein in December 1906 and won third place in the competition for the National Museum, Bloemfontein, in 1907. By 1908 Henderson had formed a partnership with Frank GOODALL, who was by then working in Pretoria (cf GOODALL & HENDERSON). In September 1908 Henderson wrote to the Public Works Department from an address in Cape Town concerning the competition for the new Central Post Office in Pretoria. In this letter he stated that he was no longer in partnership with Goodall who also notified the Secretary of Public Works of this in the same month.
Henderson was listed practising in Cape Town in 1909 from the same address as Goodall (107 St George's St) but they were not listed as partners. By 1915 Henderson was working for the Public Works Department in Johannesburg; around 1931 he had returned to work in Cape Town for the Public Works Department. Mem ATA c1915; ISAA 1927. (CAD PWD 3253 vol 2; ISAA mem list; ISAA Ybks; Juta's dir CT 1909; PWD ar 1915, 1918; SAAE&S Jnl May 1907:31; UTD 1915, 1917; OFSAD CS 12366/06; OFSAD CS 1236 9/06)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing HENDERSON
|ISAA. 1927. Register of Members the Institute of South African Architects. Johannesburg: ISAA (Unpublished Record). pp H2|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 127-128|