HAGER, Johan Carel MaximillianBorn: fl. 1872
Son of CO HAGER, JCM was an architect and a builder. He commenced his career in the Cape; references exist for his having built two churches for Dutch Reformed Church congregations in Kruisvallei in 1872 (Fagan 1975:62). Hager left the Cape for the Transvaal at the beginning of the building boom after the discovery of gold. In May 1886 he bought three erven in Middelburg, Transvaal and at about this time the Wit Kerk, Middelberg was built. The accomplished design of this building executed in neo-gothic style has led to the supposition that an architect (JCM Hager, then resident in Middelburg) designed the building. No other buildings of similar calibre have been attributed to JCM Hager, however, and the theory that the architect may infact have been Hager's father, CO Hager, has been put forward. This theory supports persistent contemporary statements that CO Hager was indeed the architect and there are similarities to CO Hager's style. No documentary evidence has yet been found to indicate which of the two Hagers or both or neither, was responsible for the building. By 1890 JCM was established in the Transvaal, employed by the Zuid Afrikaanse Republiek. He was appointed deputy architect for the execution of the Government Buildings in Boksburg in April 1891 which he brought to completion (Oberholster 1972:292). (Fagan 1975; Kesting 1978; Oberholster 1972; Restorica 1983:28-31; SALQB Sep 1982; TAD)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing HAGER
|Bakker, Karel A, Clarke, Nicholas J. 2014. Eclectic ZA Wilhelmiens : A shared Dutch built heritage in South Africa. Pretoria: Visual Books. pp 76|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 148|