GRINKER and SKELLYEstablished: 1932
The partnership in Johannesburg from about 1932 to 1937 between L GRINKER and H SKELLY. The partnership was responsible for several modernistic buildings in Johannesburg and was among the pioneers of the use of colour washes on the exterior of many of their stucco-covered buildings and which became popular in Johannesburg in the 1930s and 1940s. Three blocks of bachelor flats, the Normandie, Atlantic and Elgin blocks (named after famous liners at the time) in Johannesburg were executed by the partners between 1935 and 1939 and are examples of the ebullient building mood of the late 1930s in Johannesburg. The luxurious Normandie had sand-blasted windows in the public areas, executed by H Ratz, and all three buildings had gracefully designed bronze lift grilles. Grinker and Skelly were also among the few Transvaal architects whose buildings featured in the Cape architectural journals. The partnership was dissolved in March 1937.
(ISAA mem list; SAAR Feb 1937: 61-2; SAAR Feb 1938:40-4)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing GRINKER and SKELLY
|Chipkin, Clive M. 1993. Johannesburg Style - Architecture & Society 1880s - 1960s. Cape Town: David Phillip. pp 111, 118-119|
|Cumming-George, L. 1934. Architecture in South Africa - Volume Two. Cape Town: The Speciality Press of S.A. Ltd.. pp 55-56|
|van der Waal, Gerhard-Mark. 1987. From Mining Camp to Metropolis - The buildings of Johannesburg 1886-1940. Pretoria: Human Sciences Research Council. pp 210, 224|