GRANT, William HoodBorn: 1877
List of Structures
An architect who worked in Cape Town from about 1903, Grant became a principal in the Cape Town firm of MacGILLIVRAY & GRANT. Grant was born in Dundee, Forfarshire and educated at Dundee High School. He remained in Dundee spending two years at the Dundee school of Art, where he studied architecture and art, and won a National Bronze Medal in 1896. He came to South Africa in 1901 and practised on his own account in Cape Town. In 1903 he and D MacGILLIVRAY entered for the competition for the Southern Life Assurance Building in Durban. Winning the competition they formed a partnership (cf MacGILLIVRAY & GRANT) with an office in Cape Town. According to Hillebrand (1975:173) Grant opened and ran an office in Durban for the partners from 1904 until 1908. In 1908 he returned to Cape Town and continued to practice as Macgillivray & Grant. When MacGillivray left for Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) in 1923 (?) he continued the practice on his own account in Cape Town where he was responsible for a number of buildings, among them the OK Bazaars Building in Darling St (1932). Much of his work of the late 1920s and the 1930s has since been described as Art Deco; a contemporary comment on the Commercial Union Insurance Company Building, Cape Town, noted his contemporary use of decorated building that 'some bird forms on St George's St front are very pleasing and also reminiscent of Aztec decorative motives with much charm and discretion' (AB&E Sep 1932:3). Grant had a productive career. Many of his buildings still survive. Later he admitted partners and became WH Grant & Partners. Among buildings for which they were responsible was African Guarantee House, now Ovenstone House (St George's/Riebeeck Sts) in Cape Town (1951). It was illustrated in the December 1954 edition of Architect & Builder.
ISAA 1927. (Picton-Seymour 1977; Hillebrand 1975; ISAA mem lists; SA Archt May 1939:49; SAWW 1908, 1909, 1910, 1916, 1935)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.