GOSSELIN, ConstantBorn: fl. 1835
Gosselin was a missionary journeyman who helped Rev Jean Pierre Pellisier of the Paris Evangelical Missionary Society to build his house at Bethulie Station in the land of the Batlapin (now Orange Free State) between 1834 and 1835. This building was declared a National Monument in 1958. Pellisier's biography was written by his son. The mission house, now a museum, 'is one of the oldest houses built for Europeans north of the Orange River' (Oberholster 1972:217). (Nienaber 1990; Oberholster 1972; Schoeman 1985:13; SESA 2:298)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.