BAKER and FLEMINGEstablished: 1910
The partnership in Johannesburg between H BAKER and FLH FLEMING lasted from 1910 until 1918. Fleming had been an assistant in the firm of BAKER, MASEY & SLOPER before becoming a partner. The firm's offices were at Exploration Buildings, Johannesburg. Baker's influence in the partnership appears to have decreased after his departure for New Delhi and England in 1912. Subsequent to this Baker only came to South Africa on intermittent visits. He nevertheless kept in touch through letters, the accepting of South African students in his office and his scholarship awards. The Baker Letter Books in Johannesburg contain the correspondence of the firm and Fleming continued to keep these letter books up to date until 1954. After Baker decided to cut ties with his practices in South Africa (1918), Fleming assumed Baker's practice in Johannesburg (cf FLH FLEMING).
(Aron 1972; Crawford 1985; Greig 1970; Baker 1934; Baker 1944; BLB (1902-1954); Irving 1981; Keath 19**; UTD 1913)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.