FCIA; MIA; FRIBA 1936
Glennie executed a large number of buildings in Cape Town, having begun to practice in Cape Town in the early 1920s. A prominent catholic, Glennie designed and executed many buildings for the Catholic Church and was commissioned to design the Catholic University of Pope Pius XII at Roma, Basutoland (date?).
Glennie was educated at Wynberg Boy's High School, Cape Town. He was articled to BAKER & MASEY in Cape Town from 1909 until 1911 but remained in the office working as an assistant. In about 1912 he won the Cape Institute of Architects' prize for measured drawings. In 1917 he left BAKER & FLEMING to set up independent practice in Cape Town. In the early years of practice Glennie executed a number of ecclesiastical works, houses and small scale commercial buildings. He quite soon obtained some major commissions, the first of these large works was the Exchange Building for Mann, George & Co in St George's St (1927), a sophisticated design with corner feature recessed for emphasis rising through all six floors. Glennie went on to design many well-known commercial buildings in Cape Town, such as the Reserve Bank in Wale St (c1928) and the Commercial Union Assurance building, St George's St (1930). He also designed the Royal Hotel at Beaufort West (1931).
In the 1920' and 30's Glennie was the Old Mutual's architect.
Glennie was an enthusiast of old Cape buildings and one time secretary of The National Society for which he did many drawings of historic Cape buildings. A number of these were reproduced in Dorothea Fairbridge's Historical houses of South Africa (1922) and in GE PEARSE's Eighteenth century architecture in South Africa (1933).
In 1933 Glennie made an extensive overseas visit, studying buildings in England, Holland, France and Italy with a further year's travel and residence in England, America, Holland, Germany, Sweden and Italy. He returned to Cape Town, continuing to practise until 1953. He acted as senior associate architect on several schemes, a number in association with JZ SCHUURMANS-STEKHOVEN with whom he worked for instance on the Provincial Buildings (Wale St/Queen Victoria St/Long St/Dorp St) in 1940. Other late buildings by Glennie include Court Chambers for Syfrets Trust in Wale St (c1950).
Glennie's office was a popular place for students in training; LF McCONNELL was among those who gained office experience in Glennie's office. Glennie was also a co-founder of the South African National Botanic Gardens at Kirstenbosch.
In 1944 he entered partnership with TE EGAN, joined by H SIKKEL in 1946 (GLENNIE, EGAN & SIKKEL). He retired in 1953 and died in Cape Town.
(FRIBA nom papers (1936) 3364; RIBA Jnl Apr 1955:271 obit; SAAR Oct 1954:43 obit, port)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing GLENNIE
|CPIA Committee. 1983. The Buildings of Cape Town 1983 : Phase Two. Volume Three : Catalogue and Classification. Cape Town: Cape Provincial Institute of Architects. pp |
|Cumming-George, L. 1933. Architecture in South Africa - Volume One. Cape Town: The Speciality Press of S.A. Ltd.. pp 98|
|Fairbridge, Dorothea. 1922. Historic houses of South Africa. London: Oxford University Press. pp |
|Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pp 100|
|ISAA. 1927. Register of Members the Institute of South African Architects. Johannesburg: ISAA (Unpublished Record). pp G7b|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 22|
|Rennie, John for CPIA. 1978. The Buildings of Central Cape Town 1978. Volume Two : Catalogue. Cape Town: Cape Provincial Institute of Architects. pp |
|Simons, Phillida Brooke. 1995. Old Mutual, 1845-1995. Cape Town: Human & Rousseau. pp 107, 108, 110, 113, 114, 120, 126|
|Walker, Michael. 2011. A Statement In Stone. Cape Town: Privately published by Michael Walker. pp 32-36, 42, 95|
|Walker, Michael. 2012. Early architects of Cape Town and their buildings (1820 - 1926) with postcard illustrations, The. St James: Michael Walker. pp 15|
|Walker, Michael. 2009. Muizenberg - a forgotten story. Cape Town: Privately published by Michael Walker. pp 69|