GAISFORD, John WilliamBorn: 1853 10 07
Died: 1928 08 21
Year registered: 1927
Is also sometimes spelt GAYSFORD
Currently little is known about Gaisford. He was resident and practising as an architect and lawyer in Potchefstroom in the late nineteenth century and was probably responsible for a number of buildings there of which only a few have been identified. He evidently played a prominent civic role, being Mayor of Potchefstroom for several sessions between 1913 and 1918. In 1917 he was the Potchefstroom representative of the Association of Transvaal Architects Practice Committee. His last years of practice before his retirement in 1926, were marred by a dispute over the synagogue building in Potchefstroom which he commenced in about 1923. He died in Potchefstroom two years after retiring. Among the buildings attributed to him was the first Stock Exchange Building in Church St, Potchefstroom (1890), destroyed by fire a year later in 1891 but subsequently rebuilt, whether by him or not is not known. He was married to Helen Harriet and was also among the first motorcar owners in Potchefstroom.
(Fick 1906; Kuijers 1984; Potch Herald 8.11.1963; Rosenthal 1968:97-101)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing GAISFORD