Also known as BURT ANDREWS
City Engineer of Johannesburg from 1904 until 1927, was born in Greenwich, England, the son of GR Andrews, a civil engineer, and educated at a private school. He commenced his training as a civil engineer as assistant in the engineer's department, Bournemouth Improvement Commissioners for four-and-a-half years and was appointed assistant in the Engineer's Department, Hornsey Local Board in 1886. Three years later, in 1889, he came to Johannesburg, arriving at the end of the great boom and worked as an architect and engineer. An associate for some time of AH REID, in 1893 he was appointed assistant Town Engineer and Building Surveyor for Johannesburg, chosen from among many candidates. He married in about 1893/1894; on the outbreak of the Anglo-Boer War, he left for Pietermaritzburg, obtaining temporary employment in the Borough Engineer's office as assistant to G LAFFAN.
In February 1900 Andrews joined the Imperial Light Horse and took part in various military events including the relief of Mafeking. After eight months he obtained his discharge and returned to Johannesburg. In 1901, on the retirement of his chief, C ABURROW, he was appointed acting Town Engineer under the Imperial Government municipality. He held this position for a year before being appointed to the post of Deputy Engineer in 1902 when a new arrival from England, LEITCH, was appointed Town Engineer until 1904. Upon his superior's being appointed Engineer to the Rand Water Board in that year, Andrews was reappointed Town Engineer of Johannesburg. He finally retired from municipal service in 1927 after a period of twenty-three years of prodigious growth in Johannesburg, the city having doubled both in size and in the height of its buildings. His tenure saw the introduction of steel skeleton high-rise building, motorcars, macadamised roads and unprecedented growth of the City. He was succeded by WAUGH.Andrews was closely involved with the development of the architectural education and of the professions of engineers and architects in the Transvaal: he lectured and was a founder member of several societies of architects in South Africa. At the time of his death he lived at Jabulani, St Patrick's Rd, Houghton, Johannesburg. He was a prominent freemason. MICE (Lon); Council mem SA Association for the Advancement of Science; Hon Sec SAAEA 1894-5; Pres Soc Archts (Lon) SA branch 1906-7, 1910-11, 1916-17; FRIBA 1925; Pres ATA 1925; Mem National Road Board for the Union of SA; Jubilee Hons 1935; FRS1. (AB&E Aug 1919:1; AB&E Sep 1919:4; AB&E Aug 1925:27-29; AB&E Mar 1926:15; AB&E Oct 1926:20, 21, 22; Afr Archt Mar 1913:157-9; Benjamin 1979; FRIBA nom papers (1925); Men Tvl 1905:55 port; RIBA Jnl Apr 1938:559-60 obit; SAAR Mar 1925:2-5, 17-22; SAAR Mar 1926:2-6; SAAR Mar 1927:3-7; SAAR Sep 1927:75-9; SAAR May 1938:128-9 obit; SAWW 1908, 1910, 1935; TAD MHG 99705; Van der Waal 1987)
Publ: 'Some observations on specifications and contract documents', AB&E Aug 1927:7-9.
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing ANDREWS
|Cooper, A A. 1986. The Freemasons of South Africa. Cape Town: Human & Rousseau. pp 145, 151, 158|
|S2A3 (Plug, C - Project Leader and main compiler). 2002-. S2A3 biographical database of southern African science. Webspace: WWW. pp Andrews, George Samuel Burt: Accessed Tuesday 12 January 2016|
|Shorten, John R; Johannesburg City Council. 1970. The Johannesburg saga. Johannesburg: John R Shorten. pp 572-573|