ANDREWS and NIEGEMANEstablished: 1939
List of Structures
The partnership between ED ANDREWS and HTO NIEGEMAN from 1939 in Cape Town. Both were protagonists of the Modern Movement and they were responsible for some inspired designs in Cape Town. The war interrupted the practice which, however, flourished in the years following. Postwar buildings include three blocks of flats, Exeter Park, Ajax and Achilles, named by the client in tribute to the destroyers which sank the battleship Graf Spey. Inspite of the commitment to the modern movement the partnership undertook a significant amount of restoration work including a house for Sir Alfred Beit at Tulbagh (later called Mon Bijou), Rheezicht in Gardens for the PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT; Klein Plasie at Worcester for Jimmy Malan and a house for Sir Alfred Beit at Gordon's Bay. They were also responsible for a number of industrial buildings such as a clothing factory for M Bertish. Tygerberg Hospital was their biggest single commission (1956-1976) for which unit they also designed a separate dental department.
(Andrews 1986; ARIBA nom papers (Andrews); FRIBA nom papers (Niegeman); Herbert 1975; ISAA mem list; Rennie 1978, vol 2).
Cape Town: Leeuwendal Maternity Home (SAB Nov 1939:66; SA Archt Nov 1940:287; Herbert 1975:228 ill) 1939-40; House Mrs Marais, Klein Nektar, Hout Bay (SAB Sep 1939:70; Herbert 1975: 226, 228) 1939?; Sexton's house (Lutheran Church), restored, Strand St (Rennie 1978 vol 2:16; Andrews 1986) c1939; Rex Trueform Clothing Factory (Andrews 1986) c1939-40
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.