ABRAMOWITCH, Sidney ABorn: 1923 11 30
Reg No: 1033
Year registered: 1947
TPIA (1947); ISAA (1947); ARIBA..
Born in Johannesburg, the son of Elias and Ethel Ambramowitch. He was educated at Athlone High School. He studied architecture at the University of the Witwatersrand School of Architecture. In the Second World War he served with the South African Air Force, University Air Training Squadron (1942-1944).
He served the Jewish Community as a member of the Oxford Synagogue. He was an Executive Member of the Jewish Welfare council and Vice-President of the Kuper Lodge, B'nai B'rith.
As member of the Transvaal Institute he served on the Public Relations Committee (1958-59 and again from 1959-1960).In 1959 he was part of the firm ABRAMOWITCH, DAVID PINSHOW & SCHNEIDER, at 6th Floor, Mansion House, 132 Market Street, Johannesburg. He received the Institute of South African Architects award for the best religious building in the then Transvaal in the period 1955 till 1964. By 1969 he was a principal in the architectural partnership styled Ambramowitch, Schneider, Sacks and Associates.
In April 1950 he married Maja Schatz by whom he had two sons and two daughters.
Books citing ABRAMOWITCH