COWIN and ELLISEstablished: 1936
The name of the firm from January 1936, formerly COWIN, POWERS & ELLIS, following the dissolution of that partnership. The new partnership was between NT COWIN, TG ELLIS, JN COWIN and DM COWIN with offices in in Johannesburg and Pretoria. The firm was responsible for a large number of commercial buildings in the Transvaal and developed a fashionable practice in house design. In 1939 F WILLIAMSON and NT COWIN were associates on the Wolf Hillman Building for the University of the Witwatersrand.
(SAAR Jan 1936:30)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing COWIN and ELLIS
|van der Waal, Gerhard-Mark. 1987. From Mining Camp to Metropolis - The buildings of Johannesburg 1886-1940. Pretoria: Human Sciences Research Council. pp 187, 193, 194, 211, 214, 237, 241|