CORDEAUX and FARROWEstablished: 1912
This was a partnership between HJC CORDEAUX and JWH FARROW from 1912, with offices in East London and King William's Town. Nothing seems to be known about the firm's work between 1912 and 1920 when they won the competition for the King William's Town war memorial, the competition being assessed by P EAGLE. They won a further competition, for the war memorial at Cambridge in East London in 1921 or 1922. After the death of Cordeaux in 1923, Farrow continued to practise under the same style, becoming CORDEAUX, FARROW & STOCKS in 1924 when CWB STOCKS joined the firm.
(AB&E Sep 1920:3)
Farrow listed the following buildings in the same papers, noting that while he was responsible for detail drawings, Cordeaux was the architect: King William's Town: Sun Office Buildings, (Sun Fire Assurance now Protea Assurance Co) (LRIBA nom papers 1911) c1904; Girls' Kindergarten and school (LRIBA nom papers 1911) pre-1911; Savings Bank bldgs, (British Kaffrarian Savings Bank) McLean Sq/Corner St (LRIBA nom papers 1911; Picton-Seymour 1977:227) 1908;
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
List of projects With photographs
|Cambridge War Memorial: 1922?. East London, Eastern Cape - Architect |
|College Street School: 1913. East London, Eastern Cape - Architect |
|Convent of the Sacred Heart - King Convent: 1877 : 1923?. Qonce (King William's Town), Eastern Cape - Architect |
|SA Mutual Life Assurance Society Building: 1925. East London, Eastern Cape - Architect |
|Standard Bank: 1923?. Komgha, Eastern Cape - Architect |
|War Memorial: 1920. Qonce (King William's Town), Eastern Cape - Architect |
|War Memorial - Dale College: n.d.. Qonce (King William's Town), Eastern Cape - Architect |
|War Memorial 1914-1918: 1922. Stutterheim, Eastern Cape - Architect |