CHICK and BARTHOLOMEWEstablished: 1912
A partnership between HE CHICK and BV BARTHOLOMEW in Durban from 1912 until 1939, after which the firm became CHICK, BARTHOLOMEW & POOLE. The partners, in consultation with the engineering firm of AS Joffe, executed the well-known Sugar Stores for CG Smith between 1925 and 1926. Herbert (1975:75) notes this building for pioneering the use of the mushroom column and flat slab in South Africa.
(Herbert 1975; Hillebrand 1975; Hillebrand 1986; Chick 1985; UNSAL)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing CHICK and BARTHOLOMEW
|Cumming-George, L. 1934. Architecture in South Africa - Volume Two. Cape Town: The Speciality Press of S.A. Ltd.. pp 91|