MEIRING, Adriaan Louw (Att)Born: 1904 05 04
Died: 1979 02
Reg No: 684
Year registered: 1938
BA(UK): BArch(Liverpool); FRIBA; FRSA; Professor of Architecture (UP)First professor of Architecture at University of Pretoria in 1943. MEIRING was born in Johannesburg, son of PGJ Meiring; the family soon moved to Paarl in the Cape where MEIRING was educated, matriculating from the Paarl Afrikaans Boys' High School. He studied Philosophy and Languages at the University of Cape Town, graduating in 1924 and shortly afterwards turned to architecture. In 1926 he became a junior in the offices of LOUW & LOUW in Paarl before transferring to LOUW & LOUW's Cape Town office in 1927. According to his Associate nomination papers (1933/34), he attended the University of Liverpool School of Architecture from October 1929 until July 1932 together with his friend DFH NAUDE, travelling in Europe during this period. His Fellowship papers (1951) state that he was at the Liverpool School of Architecture from 1928 to 1931 when he received a first class Honours degree, and that from 1928 until 1931 he had been employed as chief assistant architect with LOUW & LOUW for the work on the new head office for South African Mutual Life Assurance building in Cape Town. The building went out to tender in February 1931 so it appears that NAUDE might have returned to South Africa periodically. By 1934 he had returned to Cape Town and was working in the same office (LOUW & LOUW) as NAUDE, the offices were at 501 Sanlam Building in Cape Town; in 1938 the two entered into a partnership which continued until at least 1960. In 1943 MEIRING accepted the appointment to the new Chair of Architecture at University of Pretoria thus becoming the first professor of Architecture at the University. He subsequently designed a number of buildings for the campus of the University of Pretoria including the Dental School, several undertaken in association with CS LODGE of BURG, LODGE & BURG. MEIRING undertook pioneer studies of N'debele building on which he published articles, one on "The Amandebele of Pretoria" appeared in the South African Architectural Record (Apr 1955:26-35). He was instrumental in establishing one of the early outdoor museums on N'debele culture. MEIRING made significant contributions in the field of acoustics, in which he was keenly interested. By 1959 he had gone into partnership with NAUDE (cf MEIRING & NAUDE), their address was 52 Wesley Building, 172 Andries Street, (PO Box 486), Pretoria. He retired in 1968. He and Mary Dumaresq married and had two sons and a daughter.
Was a recipient of the Medal of Honour for Architecture by the SA Akademie vir Wetenskap en Kuns in 1956.
BA (Cape); B Arch (Liverpool); ARIBA 1934; ISAA 1938; FRIBA 1951; FRSA; Erepenning vir Boukuns 1956
(Die Afrikanerpersoneregister 1942:160; FRIBA nom papers (1951) 5470; Herbert 1975; SAB Mar 1939:70; Tydskrif vir Wetenskap en Kuns Oct 1956:11, 12)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Articles by MEIRING
|MEIRING, AL. 1939. Accoustical correction problem. SA Architect. Jun pp. 95|
|MEIRING, AL. 1955. The Amandebele of Pretoria. SAAR. Apr pp. 26-35|
|MEIRING, AL. 1966. Norman Eaton was the finest architect in the country. Pretoriana. No. 52, December pp. 50-53|
Articles citing MEIRING
Books citing MEIRING
|Personalia van Suid-Afrika. 1967. Wie is wie in Suid-Afrika. Johannesburg: Personalia van Suid-Afrika. pp 379-380|