CARTER and McINTOSHEstablished: 1893
A partnership between A CARTER and FG McINTOSH from about 1893 until 1900/1902, with offices in both Pretoria and Johannesburg. It is likely that McIntosh was responsible for the Pretoria office since he later practised on his own account in Pretoria. During the Anglo-Boer War the offices closed. In 1899 the name of the firm appeared in the directories as Carter & McIntosh; the 1903 directory gives the firm's name as McINTOSH & MOFFAT (Longland's Transvaal & Rhodesia directory 1903). 'Men of the Times' (Transvaal 1905:245) noted that JA Moffat joined Carter & McIntosh in 1895, becoming a partner the following year but no indication was given of a change in the name of the firm. Although there is no evidence from the directories that the firm was ever known as CARTER, McINTOSH & MOFFAT (see list), both Picton-Seymour (1977:321) and Van der Waal (1987:67) state that the Corporation Building in Johannesburg (1899) was by Carter, McIntosh & Moffat.
(Longland's dir 1893; Longland's Jhb & SAR dir 1897; Longland's Pretoria dir 1899; Longland's Jhb & distr dir 1899; Longland's Tvl & Rhod dir 1903; Men Tvl 1905:245; Praagh 1906; Picton-Seymour 1977; RAU doc; Van Der Waal 1987)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing CARTER and McINTOSH
|Longland. 1979. Longland's Pretoria Directory for 1899 (Reprint No. 85). Pretoria: The State Library. pp 182|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 320, 321, 155|