CARMICHAEL, CharlesBorn: 1864 09 11
Died: 1890 06 15
Charles Carmichael was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, on 11 September 1864, the second of the four sons and seven children of George Carmichael, bank agent and his wife Mary. He was educated at Aberdeen Grammar School attending from 1876-1879.
In 1886 Carmichael was associated with Dr James Cooper in the founding of the Aberdeen Ecclesiological Society and several of his drawings were published in its transactions.
In the mid 1880s he emigrated to South Africa. Some sources suggest that he followed his former employer to South Africa but it seems more likely as stated in his obituary that he followed some of his 'fellow-townsmen who had established themselves in Johannesburg'. The townsmen may well have invited him to join them along with two of his contemporaries, Charles MURRAY and William M PHILIP, both engineers. Carmichael formed a partnership with Murray and Philip shortly after his arrival in South Africa (PHILIP, CARMICHAEL & MURRAY) who were involved in designing the Law Chambers in Church Square, Pretoria from about 1890 until 1893.
There is also a listing of this practitioner on the Dictionary of Scottish Architects.
Books citing CARMICHAEL
|Meiring, Hannes. 1980. Pretoria 125. Cape Town: Human & Rousseau. pp 65|